September 10, 2012

Hy-Vee Triathlon Sept. 2

The 5150 Hy-Vee Triathlon took place Sunday September 2, 2012 and it was a rough day. I flew back home to Iowa to visit family and race the event. What started as a cool morning, turned into a hot and very humid day for all racers.

I had a great swim and was heading into my bike feeling good, but little did I know how long of a day this would become. About 5 miles into my bike I started cramping, and they didn't go away. I was cramping in my legs and my feet for the remainder of the 26 mile bike and was feeling pretty lousy heading into my 6.2 mile run. At this point in the race I knew I just had to gut it out and finish. Not everyday or every race can be a perfect "A" race. I was a little beat down both mentally and physically, but I garnered what I had left and hit the pavement. I was able to manage 7:00 miles the entire 6.2 miles and felt pretty good at the end.







I took what small wins I could from the race and learned a lot of valuable lessons. I wasn't happy with my overall time of 2:31:00 even though it was a PR. I had been training and planning to be at or under 2:15:00. Everyday is a new day, and its back to Arizona to regroup and continue my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment